Friday, July 20, 2007

Burt's Bees Lipbalm

I think that my love of natural products began when I became a vegetarian and started being more concerned about animals, animal rights and just, being good to myself! I know that not everything i buy can be eco-friendly and/or vegan, it is something that I opt for. So, I will also try to include some vegan options out there for our compassionate friends.

Burts Bee's is one of the lines that caters to the all natural crowd, a trend that I am happy for. Burt Bees products are NOT vegan, but are animal friendly and use products that you can actually pronounce, so rejoice y'all! The lipbalm in this line has become most recently, a cult classic, in the handbags of young starlets everywhere!

Classic Lipbalm: Each and every swipe of this cooling balm is refreshing to the mouth, and tingly on lips. While still not being unpleasant, it soothes the lips and simply feels devine. It's very, very, very moisturizing and leaves a slight sheen to the lips. The ONLY problem I have with this libalm is that the peppermint extact dries out the lips overtime, making one constantly reapply.

Lifesaver's Lipbalm: I don't know who thought of this balm....but's pure crap. It's thick and goopy like a glue-stick with the same milky color. When applied it whites out the lips and just looks.....well, unflattering. While it's meant to protect the lips from the sun (especially at the beach, hence the name) but contains no actual sunscreen of anykind.....which is basically as useful as using baby oil at the beach instead of sunblock.

Tinted Lipbalm (or Lip Shimmer): Nice, shimmery or matte lipcolors in a range of colors that women of all skin types and colors will enjoy. As a red lips kind of girl, I picked up the Raisin color and looooooved it. It is the same formula as the classic Burt's Bees lipbalm but with a dose of color. It was a sheer rasberry at first, but when appiled with a lipbrush, it became a very rich, true, blue-toned red. Lovely.

Pomegranate Lipbalm: I first saw this featured in an anti-aging artical in InStyle Magazine, and it immeaditaly appealed to me. I just love the juicy smell of pomegranates.......which is also known for being a major source of antioxidants. Okay, it's a win/win situations. I smells delicious, I won't look 50 when I'm 25. So I picked a tube up at my local pharamacy, and when I opened up the tube the smell was.....just like a freshly opened pomegranate. It's very tart in scent, but also with just the right amount of sweet. When applied to the lips, it leaves a very sheer pink gloss, with the tiniest bit of sparkle (which you can also see in the tube when looked at in sunlight). The only problem that I had with it, as amoung the other burt bee's that I've tried is that overtime, my lips do dry out and I need to constantly reapply. So gals lookin' for a single swipe of balm in the morning, you might want to pass this one up. ALSO, a warning to coffee lovers: for some strange reason this balm tastes absolutely horrid when you mix it with coffee. I'm not sure if it's just the taste, or one of the ingredients in it.....but it just tastes acidic :/ So, just pass on the lipbalm until after you drink your morning coffee

Cherry Gloss (also in other flavors): Is nice, but really nothing special. It has a nice, pleasent cherry scent and glides on smooothly. But, pick up the classic or pomegranate balm instead.

No comments: