Saturday, August 18, 2007

Viva La-Bello!



Picking my favorite lip balm would be like telling a mother to choose their favorite child. I just....couldn't do it. I don't believe that there is such a thing as 'the holy grail' of lip balms...I keep EVERY SINGLE balm that I have ever purchased. Because They're all sooooooo different. Some are minty....some smell like my favorite desserts, some don't have any scent at all! I But, recently I've been going through all of my lipbalms that have collected in my purse, bathroom cabinet, my vanity, my glove compartment.....all over the place. So once I got all of my lip balms together, I realized the staggering number that I actually had.....I must have over 50 tubes on my kitchen counter just WAITING to be used....

I should probably consider swap over at Make-Up Alley :/

ANYWAYS........Labello is one of those 'cult' favorites. The brand is unavailable in the US, and is known as the 'Chapstic' of Europe. A friend of mine visted Germany recently and noticed that they use the word 'Labello' like how we say 'Chapstic'. Interesting, hm? But rightfully so, because this balm is fantastic. Compared to most of that cheap crap we put on our lips State Side, this is the creme de la creme of balms.

The application is smoooooooooth.......and THICK. It leaves a pleasent layer of moisture on the lips, but nothing unpleasent. After 4-5 minutes, the layer seems to soak right into the lips, just leaving behind soft, supple lips. In my experience, this effect lasted ALL day.....after eating, drinking, and a little bit of macking out with a significant other. Almost too good to be true isn't? It also has subtlest of spa-like scents in the tube and when applied to the lips. It's not floral, or citrus-y, but soft....soothing.....like baby lotion.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Another great thing about Labello is the WIDE array of flavors and formulas. So they'll have somethning for everyone! They even make a "manly" version called Labello for Men, which is a more matter version of the original.

I ordered the Classic balm (in the notorious blue tube), Cherry, Strawberry and the special SPF 30. I bought mine online from an ebay seller based in France who sold me the four for the riduclously low price of $8.00 (with shipping).

The only problem I had with Labello, was the consistency between he different formulas. For example, the Cherry and Strawberry flavors have a very sheer red/berry coloring to them, and can be layered for a lipstick like effect (in my opinion) and they don't last nearly as long as the Original formula. I found that both flavors dried out on my lips over time, and made me reapply more often. Still a VERY good balm, but just not as good as the Original. On another note, let me just say that the two flavors that I tried have the most natural flavoring I've ever smelled. Opening the tube of the Stawberry flavor is like picking up a fresh strawberry. Nothing like Chapstic..... :/ The same goes for the Cherry flavor which is just.......juicy and delicious.

Another downside (the few that I found) is the lack of UV protection built right into the balm. Even chapstic has the bottom of the barrel SPH 4 in it formula (not good, but it's better than nothing). You have to buy the special UV protection version, which is fine....but I just would have preferred to have it in the formula already. Call me overconcerned. But this fair skinned redhead has to watch out for the sun in the Cali heat. I found the UV formula to be MUCH stiffer compared to the smooth glide of the other three. It also left a whiteness cast like when applying sunscreen....ew....pasty.... :/

Overall, I would just pick up the Cherry and/or Stawberry flavors and of COURSE the Original, which I've ALREADY (I've been using them for about 3-4 months now) almost used down to the nub.

1 comment:

Solabello said...

Hello !!!

I'm a labello addict, and I find yours so cute !!!!!!!
did you have still them ?

if you want I have a blog, you'll see all my collection :
http://solabello.wordpress.com

Hope that you'll contact me !
See you soon

Sophie